Philipp Veit
Philipp Veit
The former barracks, the
The former barracks, the "Golden-Ross-Kaserne" before World War II

The history of the Landesmuseum Mainz

1803:
Napoleon presents 36 paintings to the Mainz département capital; founding of the Gemäldegalerie (painting gallery). Exhibition of Roman finds on display in an “Antiques Hall”.

1841:
Art dealer M. von Metzler, who moved from Baden-Baden to Mainz, donates paintings.

1895:
Copper engraving collection and the painting collection merge.

1903:
A. M. Laské donates around 13,000 prints and drawings.

1937:
The antiquity museum moves into the former royal stables, the "Golden-Ross-Kaserne", at Große Bleiche.

1938-45:
Most of the museum’s exhibits are saved in the war as they were put into storage but the building is destroyed.

From 1950:
Inner wing of building rebuilt as storage and restoration of front of building with the aid of the French military government.

1962:
Re-opening of restored museum complex.

The main entrance of the Landesmuseum Mainz at the Große Bleiche
The main entrance of the Landesmuseum Mainz at the Große Bleiche
The main entrance of the Landesmuseum Mainz at the Große Bleiche

1967:
The state of Rhineland-Palatinate takes over the museum; the antiquities museum and the painting gallery merge to form the "Mittelrheinischen Landesmuseum Mainz". (Central Rhenish Mainz State Museum).

1978:
Restoration of building wing at the Schießgartenstraße and building of an exhibition pavilion in courtyard.

1986:
Museum is renamed "Landesmuseum Mainz" (Mainz State Museum).

2001-2010:
Fundamentally redevelopment and renovation of the Landesmuseum Mainz.